Student Teaching Stories, Updates, & Experiences!

Monday, February 7, 2011

This Day Deserved a Blog!

I'm just going to get right to it....the comments spoken by some of my 2nd graders today....
        The guidance counselor comes in on Monday and Friday afternoons, and talks to the kids about life skills. Well today it was on 'self discipline' and the students were filling out a questionnaire....
        Guidance Counselor: "Next question, are you able to say No to peer pressure? What is peer pressure kids?
    Girl #1: "Its when you say no to drugs and other bad things people do"
    Guidance Counselor: "That is correct, it is important that we say no to things that are wrong, like drugs. Boy #1 I see you have your hand up, what do you think peer pressure is?"
     Boy #1: "Well actually I was going to say, (these are his most commonly used words, he always has his hand raised as if he was going to answer the question, but normally he has some fact/story to share about the topic you are discussing).. I was actually going to say that when I am older, I am going to grow my own marijuana and sell it."
     At this point I am sitting on the other side of the room behind a group of girls to keep them on task, and as if Boy #1's comment wasn't enough to make my jaw drop, I proceeded to here the girl in front of me whisper to her friend: "oh marijuana.... ya my dad does that stuff." 
    If my jaw wasn't already on the floor, it was now! These kids are 8 YEARS OLD! 
If your wondering what the Guidance Counselors response was to Boy #1's growing and selling marijuana....
  Guidance Counselor: "Um, well honey if you do that you will end up in jail, so that probably is not the best choice. Alright next question on the worksheet is ......"
    But even though they moved on to the next question, the comments did not stop just quite yet.
   Guidance Counselor: "Next question is, do you touch, take, or play with something that is not yours? Could somebody give us an example of something that is not theirs that they should not touch, like your sisters doll, or mom's cell phone?"
    Girl (who just told her friend about her dad smoking marijuana): "You shouldn't touch your parents smokes, or else they will yell bad words at you."
   Guidance Counselor: "Ok, that is one, but I was thinking more like toys or stuff like that."
I didn't really know what to do with myself all these comments occurred in about a 3 min span...my initial response was shock, pure SHOCK, and then some laughter not because they were necessarily funny but more so because I just didn't know what else to even make of such comments....but it didn't take long for my heart to just feel for some of those kids. Who knows what their lives are at home, and its hard to think that leave school and go home some pretty negative places. 

The hardest thing I think I've encountered in the classroom thus far has not even occurred in the classroom, but its knowing some of the stuff that goes on in their lives outside the classroom.

Anyways. Ya. Wow. 
Couple other recent funny quotes:
     -After I taught science and was handing out their assignment...."Wow Mrs. Krieger, your almost like a real teacher now."
     -After sharing with some kids some information on Arizona......"Mrs. Krieger, did you know that a Saguaro is not only type of cactus, but it is also a Mexican Hat." 
     -When I ask one boy what he did this past weekend...."Mrs. Krieger, that is none of your beeswax."
     -While celebrating a kids bday, the kids thought it would be fun to guess my age....."20? 19? 21? 22?" "You got it I'm 22!" "Wow, you look so young, but you are just so old."









No comments:

Post a Comment